Simul8 system requirements
Here's an overview of the computer specification requirements, versions, and languages available for Simul8. If you have any installation questions, reach out to our friendly support team.
Last updated: April 19th, 2023
System requirements for installing Simul8 for desktop
These are the basic requirements for installing the desktop edition of Simul8 on a PC. If your device does not meet these requirements, you may not have the great experience intended.
Simul8 2023 and all plug-in software are compatible with:
- Windows 11
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 and Windows 7 64
- Windows XP and XP 64
Versions earlier than Simul8 2012 are not compatible with Windows 7 and versions earlier than 2018 are not compatible with Windows 10.
Simul8 is available in 32-bit or 64-bit from Simul8 2023.
Simul8 2023 plus any plug-ins require the following minimum hardware:
- i3 processor single core (or non-Intel equivalent)
- 1GB of available RAM above the minimum required by your operating system
- 170MB of available hard-disk space
- More RAM and a multi-core processor will help Simul8 deliver results even faster
If you have Microsoft Office installed, Simul8 2023 can use files like Excel spreadsheets.
Simul8 Professional 2023 and Simul8 subscription customers can also use Visio files. To use Visio *.VDX files Visio is not required. To use Visio *.VSD files Visio 5.0 or above must be installed.
To use Python and SQL with Simul8, please match the installation architecture of the application to your installation of Simul8 (32 or 64-bit). Please see our support article for more information.
To use R with Simul8, there are no installation requirements or limitations.
Simul8 for networks
Concurrent license requirements
For the end-user or client computer, Simul8’s system requirements are the same as above.
Simul8 for networks requires these file server facilities:
- File share on a network accessible drive
- Read access for client users to a specific folder installed into the file share
- Write access for client users to a specific subfolder of the read folder 200MB of available space on the file server before install starts (most of this is for the client install and can be deleted after the clients are set up)
- Very minimal bandwidth (only a few bytes when each Simul8 opens and closes)
The above do not require any specific server operating system. Any operating system that can serve files is sufficient. There is no minimum speed requirement.
Accessing Simul8 on the web
Simul8 for the web is included with all subscriptions. If you have an existing Simul8 license, you can access Simul8 for the web with an Annual Maintenance subscription.
Simul8 for the web is completely download and installation-free. You'll only need an HTML5 compatible web browser and internet connection to start building simulations with the full functionality and power of Simul8. You’ll also receive access to the latest Simul8 feature updates without installation.
Can I install Simul8 on a Mac?
Mac users can use Simul8 for the web to build, run and share simulations in a browser with the same full feature set as our desktop application. Depending on your OS version and hardware you can also use virtualization software, like VMware Fusion or Parallels, to run Simul8 for desktop on Mac.